Two South Carolina School Districts Implement New Safety Measures
Two school districts are enhancing its safety and security measures to prevent shootings and other threats.
- By Sherelle Black
- September 25, 2019
Berkeley and Charleston County school districts in South Carolina are adding new security measures this school year.
Charleston County School District is allocating $291,000 annually out of the district’s more than $6 million budget for safety and emergency management for random searches, according to district spokesman Andy Pruitt, Post and Courier reported.
The move was prompted after the district confiscated 76 weapons on school property last year.
Although the school district has done searches in the past, this is the first time the searches will be standardized.
A six-person team will work with the schools to randomly search middle and high students, reported the outlet.
The team members all have some sort of law enforcement background and are not involved in the selecting of which classroom, bus or other area will be searched.
Additionally, the team will be required to wear body cameras at the time of the search.
Whitney Quick, who formerly taught special education in Berkeley County, said to Post and Courier she does not have a problem with the searches.
“I feel a lot of your rights going into a school, you know, your personal rights, you kind of leave them at the door. Because it’s not just about you as a student, it’s about the safety of everyone,” Quick said.
There will also be changes made outside of the classroom.
Those attending sporting events will not be allowed to enter if their bag is not clear. Also, the clear bag must be no bigger than 12-by-6-by-12 inches.
In Berkeley County School District, the district has doubled its security team.
The Post reported the district now has a full-time investigator and a full-time training position that can teach the best practices to avoid school shootings.